Sunday, March 30, 2014

Outdoors -- Tufted titmouse

This bird has a habit that puzzles me.  I've seen it for two winters now, and it's possible that this is the same bird coming to my feeder both winters, but I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if any other birdwatchers comment.
The majority of tufted titmouse eating at my house have used the feeder tube.
They pull out a bit of food, and then they rub or slam it against the perch they are sitting on.
The feed has millet and safflower seed in it.  I don't buy food with milo in it. 
I haven't been able to tell if it's only the safflower seed that the titmice slam or rub on the perch.
If it is, one conclusion would be that it's trying to break the safflower down to a comfortable size to eat.
But the millet is smaller, so why would the titmouse pick out something too big to eat?
Unless it absolutely hates the millet.
The other problem is that the titmouse does not then jump down on the ground to pick up the small pieces of safflower it has created.  It stays on the perch.
I don't get it.  If you do, please comment.
© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment