Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Outdoors -- I knew it

I knew the mourning doves were just messing with me.

You think doves are nice kind quiet creatures.  Well, I've know them to drive away smaller birds with an evil hiss when it's a question of food.

And no matter how much food you put down for them, all you have to do is open the door and they go off with that whistle of wings as if they thought you were going to eat THEM.

But now, it's the other way around.  The newly returned blackbirds can't find much to eat given our latest snowfall, so they're picking up some of the bird food. 

All I have to do is let my head be seen through the window of my back door and the blackbirds take off.

But the doves, who have been here all winter, play it cool and keep eating.

Like it's the last food they'll ever see.

When I specially made a trip to the store to get more.

OK I got the car out of the snow to make sure the battery was still charged and the air I put in the tires the other week was still there, and fill the gas tank.  But I did go to the trouble of stopping at the co-op for bird food.

OTOH the March sun is strong and the air temps are below freezing but the snow is melting fast.

Melt, snow, melt.

© Patricia Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment