Monday, September 15, 2014

DIY -- carpet cleaning

So I just had some work done on my house and I put off vacuuming for a while.
After all, there's always something more fun to do than cleaning.
But with the work done, the weather forecast was perfect with comfortable temps and humidity.
Did I whip out the Woolite as in years past?
NOOOO.
I pulled out my baking soda Thursday night.
I sprinkled it thickly, breaking up the clumps with my fingers.
Then I let it sit overnight.
Also the windows were open while the cold front sailed into town.
Then in the morning, I vacuumed up all the white.
It deodorized the carpet beautifully without leaving any chemicals behind.
It also got some stains out slightly.
If you have a bad stain, as long as it's not on a dark carpet, you can make a paste of baking soda, spread it on the stain, scrub, wait 24 hours, then vacuum.
If it is a dark carpet, there's an app -- oops -- there's a solution for that.
Which I'll discuss after I try it.
© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Last year I bought an actual multi-floor cleaner and once the warranty ran out, I started using the castile soap I have been writing about. The carpet is like 10 shades lighter; I use the rose-scented version of soap. The only drawback is getting the gunk out of the brushes so that the next use doesn't leave the gunk in the carpet. So there's another thing you can try.

      Delete