Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Garden -- betcha never tried this!

With 3-5 inches of rain in 2 days, my early veggies are popping.
No, the peas aren't bearing.
No, the beets and turnips and carrots aren't rooting.
At this point, I have to thin what I planted.
I always plant the whole packet, even though my garden is tiny.
So I have to thin the sprouts.
What you pay $16 a pound for in the grocery store, for alfalfa sprouts and so on,
I pay $2 for and not only get sprouted greens but also later when I stop thinning I'll get the full-grown leaves and roots. 
Last year I got 5 pounds each of carrots, beets, and turnips, to say nothing of the kale, collards, chard, green peas and snow peas.
So I take a dish out with me and put the thinnings in that, wash off the compost that I couldn't shake off the roots, and then I either munch them raw or put them in a stew or stir fry.
VERY nutritious.
Doesn't waste one penny of what I spent on seeds.
Try it.
© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment