Sunday, April 27, 2014

DIY orgy!!!

Passover has ended and now it's time to rebuild my stock of things that I ate up before Passover.
So last Wednesday I started a new batch of white starter and Thursday built white sour and Friday baked Italian sourdough bread.
I also started a boneless turkey breast on a brown-sugar cure.
I shredded a cabbage and put it in salt press for sauerkraut.
I used 1/3 of it to make kimchi.
Thursday while the white sour was building I started a five pound brisket pickling.  That will take 3 weeks but it will make both corned beef and pastrami.
I'm making russell (which Blogger keeps wanting to capitalize) which is fermented beets for a version of borscht called Russell Fleisch.
I made two jars of pickled beets and when they're ready I'll throw in a couple of hard cooked eggs to turn bright red.
I brewed Worcestershire sauce Wednesday.
Started a batch of sweet pickle chips.
Also some old-fashioned Jewish garlic-dill pickles.
And some marinated artichoke hearts with red bell pepper and black olives.
And 2 quarts of yogurt the way I told you a few weeks ago.
And a new jug of hard cider.
This week's projects are: re-incubate a quart of yogurt; biltong (dried beef); soba noodles; cheese crackers; herring in wine sauce.  If I can get a couple of pickled green tomatoes at my kosher market I'll make a jar of chow-chow.  Also another jug of cider; it takes a month to mature so you have to keep cranking them out. 
It's a lot of work but the exercise is good for me and it means a whole lot of good food for the next few months, especially on Shabbat when I don't cook.

© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment