Sunday, June 1, 2014

Outdoors -- the blue jay's nest

I found it!
The sparrows and robins and cardinals were upset about something.
I went out to see what.
It's illegal to let cats roam in my town but you know there are people who don't pay attention.
Also people who can't afford to take care of their pets and abandon them instead of taking them to shelters for re-adoption.
Anyway, I went out to see and I was standing under a very old Bradford pear tree and looked up.
There was a blue jay.
On its nest.
A neat little nest with a white ribbon woven into the top.
A little bit later, the blue jay was gone and I could see the head of a chick wavering above the edge of the nest.
I knew the blue jays had been courting this spring from the flute-like notes of their calls.
Nice to see that it had some result.
© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment