Thursday, January 29, 2015

Bit at a Time Bible Hebrew -- Genesis 2:16

Genesis 2:16
 
טז וַיְצַו יְהוָֹה אֱלֹהִים עַל־הָאָדָם לֵאמֹר מִכֹּל עֵץ־הַגָּן אָכֹל תֹּאכֵל:
 
Transliteration: va-yitsav **** elohim al-ha-adam lemor mikol its-ha-gan akhol tochel.
Translation:    **** Gd commanded the man saying you will definitely eat from every tree in the garden.
Vocabulary in this lesson:
יְצַו
commanded
 
Here we have a verb structure you will see over and over so get familiar with it.  The same verb root is used twice, first in a form called the “infinitive absolute”, then in the future/aorist. 
 
I translate this structure in various ways depending on the context.  “Definitely,” “absolutely,” “actually,” apply in some cases.  There is one exception which you will soon see.
 
This is the declension of the phrase, “in me.”  It can also mean “against me,” and “with me” in the sense of “by means of me.”  It does NOT mean “with me” as in “accompanied by me.”  I’ll show that later.
 
Singular
Plural
Person/gender
בִּי
בָּנוּ
First
בְּךָ
בָּכֶם
Second/masculine
בָּךְ
בָּכֶן
Second/feminine
בּוֹ
בָּהֶם
Third/masculine
בָּהּ
בָּהֶן
Third/feminine
 
© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights  Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment