Sunday, October 26, 2014

Outdoors -- The Gathering


Sparrows are sociable, cheeky little things.
They're gathering for the winter in a bush at my neighbor's house.
It's a nice thick bush.
And it's only feet from where I normally hang my bird feeder.
These must be long-time residents and a kid or two.
They have easy access both to food and to my bird bath.
And if the hawk shows up for a quick meal,
it's a quick flip of the wings to get back to the bush.
I don't know if they used to do this before I started hanging the feeder,
but I've been doing that for about 5 years now
and supposedly sparrows can live about 6 years (the maximum was 13).
Anyway this is a reminder that when I buy groceries this week,
I need to buy for the birds too.
© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment