Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Outdoors -- Step by Step

I heard the first song sparrow of the year yesterday morning.
In spite of the 4 inches of snow that fell last Thursday, and the ice on the top from Friday's melt.
We had another dusting of snow last night but it's supposed to be in the 50s today.
Now begins a tussle with the squirrels that slept through the snowfall.  They're hungry!
So I have to get up every 15 or 20 minutes from my writing or quilt piecing to check and make sure they're not sucking down bird food from the feeder tube.
You should see them scramble when I open the door!  They know there's a spray of water coming from my Nerf water gun.

The robin is getting his chokeberries.  I think the mockingbird is eating them too.
The cardinals and I are communicating well.  They know there will be sunflower seeds before sunrise and near sunset, and while the squirrels were nestbound they could get some during the day if they came and called.  Plus when they call and I open the door, they only hop a little way off -- it's instinctive, they can't help it -- and then come back when the seeds hit the snow.

I was outside yesterday and in the afternoon the sun was so beautifully warm!  It's as strong as in October.

It gets better from here!
© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment