Monday, January 20, 2014

Outdoors -- Another Harbinger

Yesterday I heard another harbinger of spring.

I heard a white-throated sparrow sing for the first time this year.  It's a high, very sweet, quiet song that just thrills me.

You can hear the song here:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/white-throated_sparrow/sounds

The Keller recording sounds more like my bird.

Now for the down side.  These birds normally call between first light and actual dawn.  Plus you have to have bushes near the house and a reliable feeder.  When they get used to having a feeder, these birds will call as they approach it through the bushes.  That's what I heard yesterday right about 7 a.m.

I'm a morning person so it was no big deal being up that early, but it's also an attraction for getting up that early.  Start feeding birds and then try listening at the end of January through mid-summer when you don't have to go to work.  See if the sweetness of the song rewards you for the effort.

© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment