Monday, December 16, 2013

Fair Isle Knitting -- Slip Knot

I've been knitting for years and recently finished a project of making matching tees, polos, cardigans and socks.  I used Brown Sheep yarn because it works up nicely and has lots of colors.

Then I got ambitious and decided I wanted to make a Fair Isle sweater.  After reading a bunch of reviews on Amazon, I bought a book.  It has a chapter illustrated with a large number of traditional motifs in traditional notation.  I won't name it, however.  I've reviewed it on Amazon.  You're going to pick your book based on your preferences.

I'm using these motifs to knit leftover yarn into a sampler and I might make my nieces Fair Isle scarves for next winter.

Anyway, I think it might be possible for somebody less experienced to learn to do Fair Isle from the ground up if the instructions are complete enough.  The book I bought left a couple of things out but I found places on the web with the instructions.

The plan is first to help you make a sampler bag with a muslin insert about 22 inches around and 7 across that you can close with a drawstring. 

But everything starts with the first step and if you have never knitted before, you need to know how to make a slip knot.  Here are two sites that give step by step instructions.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Slip-Knot
http://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knitting-Tutorials/Knitting-Tutorial-How-to-Make-a-Slip-Knot/ct/1

Next time: Casting On Shetland Style

© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment