Sunday, September 25, 2016

DIY -- care for bleeding wounds

So a couple of weeks ago I wrote about using castile soap on a bleeding injury.
Some of you freaked because I didn't use an anti-bacterial soap.
Then I explained to you that the FDA has banned 19 ingredients in those soaps.
That's because the ingredients don't produce better results than plain soap.
They also are implicated in harm to the human body.

Meanwhile, using castile soap on the injury did not cause pain.
That's important because castile soap is a real lye-containing soap and you would think it would  hurt.

Later in the day when the bleeding had stopped, I applied an aloe-based ointment to it.
I have been using this same mixture of
aloe, lavender essential oil, and olive oil infused with comfrey,
on my skin for over a year now.

The new scrape is clearing up beautifully with the aloe treatment.
I think I might end up with not even a scar.
That's important because I still have 50-year-old scars on my knees from falling off my bike when I was a kid, and surgical scars more than 20 years old.

This is only anecdotal evidence, not a clinical study.
But  aloe has  been known for centuries to be good for skin.
And comfrey is the natural source of the allantoin you find in commercial skin care products.

The difference, however, is the other chemicals in the commercial products.
One is propylene glycol, an ingredient in anti-freeze for your car radiator.
Here is a list of products containing propylene glycol:
https://www.smartpracticecanada.com/spcanada/pdfs/all-allergens/CL441.pdf

Ugh.  I don't use any of these.
The Crest that I use on my teeth is not on this list.
The Ivory soap (bar) that I use is not on this list.
The Aveeno calamine lotion that I have used (no longer, I have other treatments) is not on this list.
Haven't worn makeup in decades.
I use an herbal mix for hair cleaner.
I make my own ranch dressing.

Propylene glycol can make your pets sick.
My niece's dog once had severe -- um -- dirt problems and I suggested he had gotten hold of some cosmetics.  She  agreed.
So I don't see why you would use the pet products in this list.

Just one more step in telling manufacturers that we don't like being guinea pigs
just because their chemists have come up with something new
and they want to profit from the salaries that they paid the chemists.

© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment