Sunday, April 3, 2016

Garden -- April 2016

I hope you didn't wake up to a horrible reality in the DC region.
Our temperatures crashed last night.
If you were misled into putting out warm-weather plants, you were a month too early.

What you should have in the ground now are:
green peas, snow peas, kale, collards, mustard greens, beets, turnips, carrots, some lettuces, spinach.

What froze last night are:
tomatoes, squash of all kinds, black-eye peas, green and wax beans, eggplant, sweet and hot peppers, melons, potatoes.

Your infant tree fruit might have frozen, too.

And you should not have planted grass seed.  Ignore the Scott's ads.  They are a waste of  money.
But you know that if you have been paying attention to what Mike McGrath says.

I'm not in the mood to plant this year but I have a month to get over that.
I did prune old wood from my horehound and the rest of it is greening up.
My hydrangea is leafing out, looks like it will be a good year for that.
And the hosta -- hey, what can I say, hosta is pretty much indestructible.

© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment