Monday, October 19, 2015

Outdoors -- they were right

My  crickets were right.  We had a frost last night.

My pair of mated cardinals are still alive and they remember the protocol we set up last year.
They are already benefiting from the sunflower seeds I bought before hitting the farmer's market.

I don't know if my pet robin is still here.
He got married this year.  His wife might have made him migrate with  her.

The mockingbird was vocal for about a month but has gone quiet.
I know where his nest is.
Mockingbirds are very independent; I haven't been able to coax him to take chokeberries or blueberries.

I partly filled the feeder for small birds and had a visitor.

Later I'll go out and check on something.
Somebody in OH told me the acorns were dropping without their caps.
I said I'd check here but I haven't done it yet.

I probably won't get any more cricket counts.
I had a new storm door installed and it perfectly abuts the threshold put in for my new exterior door.
I doubt the crickets can get in any more.

Now I only have to watch out for slugs.
One night  when we had a heavy storm of rain, I had the exterior door open.
A slug got in through  some sort of crevice to get away from the rain.
It was spread over the bottom of the outside of the door.
I got rid of it  without  killing it but ---- yuck!

I just need a bag of calcium chloride -- melts ice, doesn't  kill grass -- and I'm ready for winter.
I hope.
© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights  Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment