Thursday, October 17, 2013

Garden -- harvest

Today was a good day. 

I went out just before noon and picked all the largish leaves off the basil.  Spaghetti and fresh pesto for lunch!

Then tonight I went out and pulled all the rest of the carrots.  Filled a 3 quart saucepan with them as I broke off all the leaves.  Mind you, I've already harvested a pound or two.  From $7 of compost and seeds.  Not too shabby.  Munched on a few instead of supper.

I still have beets to pull and I'd better do it soon or I won't find them all.  Squirrels love the leaves of leaf-beet (that's chard to us Yanks) and beet root.  Chased off one little snigglefritz tonight, as a matter of fact.

So it's almost over for this year, but I have all my seeds for next year already.

© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment