Sunday, July 1, 2018

Kntting -- the retro top

Some time back I posted about the tuxedo seen in a Constance Bennet movie.

I included a chart for a leaf-and-berry motif that I said reminded me of a top my mother had. Well, I used the motif and here is the result. I worked it around the bottom of my sleeveless top with the selvages at the armholes. I also worked a selvage at the collar after doing a checkerboard pattern below and at the shoulders.

I was going to work more bands like this the whole way up, but I decided less was more.  I could have worked it only at the top, between the armholes.




I emailed my photo to my sisters and one of them still has the top that my Mom owned, which this motif reminded me of. I asked her to take photos and here they are. I like this because it's important without being garish and subtle without being reticent.

I can't remember if this top is from the 50s or the 60s but if it's the 60s, it's early on.

The design is way too complicated for me to do a chart but if you want to try it, go for it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment