Sunday, May 27, 2018

Garden -- fiddleheads

So this is my fern, which you have seen before all feathery and green. It spored this spring and is now developing fronds.




I took this picture to show you the fiddleheads. They are circled in red. I think this might actually be a Matteuccia struthiopteris, fiddlehead fern. If I'm wrong, I hope somebody will say so. 




Here are the young mulberries on my tree. The mockingbird, catbird, robin and starlings will be after these once they ripen, with the mockingbird trying to take sole possession in between chasing crows off the block.









This is a descendant of something I planted a long time ago. I thought I bought seeds for celery, but I think my finger wandered and this is celeriac, which is related, but people use the roots, not the stems. Where it grows now is about 10 feet due south of where the original plant was.


It seeds every couple of years. The bees love the little yellow flowers and the sparrows love the seeds, all the more so because the tops of the stalks are sturdy enough to perch on. 







So they sowed this one next to a stump near the mulberry tree, about 10 feet due east of the parent. 

So all you naturalists, tell me, do sparrows naturally like to perch about every 10 feet or was it just convenient to them that I had perchable things at those distances?


So after four days of rain and three days of sunshine, here they are again.




This has grown about 18 inches above the fence line.

This shows the yellow flowers
.


 And here's a small guest.



Can you see the dark mulberries? I admit it, I stole some of these from the birds before I took this photo. Even at 9 in the morning before another full day of sun, they were sweeter than sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment