Sunday, December 31, 2017

I'm just sayin -- four thunbs down

The last time I remember believing three tech products deserved thumbs down was in the days of MS Windows 3.1 and the pre-standardization CD chaos. I forget what the third one was. It must have been so horrible I wiped it from my mind. Anyhoo.

Do not get Windows 10 on a laptop. Cortana is a power hog. It will decrease your battery life because you will have to charge more often. You will need somebody technie enough to edit registers to get rid of it.  Get Windows 7 Pro for as long as you can. The reason I stuck with Windows at all is that two of my main work applications will not run under Chrome.

Do not get Microsoft Edge. I like to keep Favorites pinned, but in MS Edge you cannot adjust the width of the favorites menu and it covers up one side of every tab. Like the buttons to reject Facebook Friend proposals. Which is 99% of them now that I have Friended a lot of my family.

Google Oreo on a Nexus 5x has a big problem with notifications. I am getting notifications from Google Play at midnight and at 5 a.m. an hour BEFORE my alarm is set to go off.  If I roll over and hit the button to see what time it is, I get a notification from Google Play. If I walk into a building that has WiFi, I get a notification that there are available WiFi connections. It's too much. I've sent two complaints to Google about this.

Do not share Google Calendar with anybody. It will corrupt your email. I know somebody who works for a school system and he regularly has to make employees bring in their work phones. They thought they could share calendars with their families and instead their emails started getting rejected for "too many IP complaints". So he has to unshare all the calendars and tell them "don't do that again".

So Google, don't take any pride to yourself that you are somehow superior to Microsoft. You both have fundamental problems in my opinion.

I'm just saying....

© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment