Sunday, February 4, 2018

Outdoors -- The Birds 2018

They're heeere!

The starlings are back and getting ready to start families.

A flock of them invaded my neighborhood and all the males with their bright yellow mating beaks came to my birdbath to freshen up.  Half a dozen at a time, they took a drink and then splashed vigorously.

I'd post a short video but the bird bath is too far from the house to get a good picture. Trust me.

Or test it for yourself. I used an old plastic trash can lid turned upside down. It  holds about 2 gallons of water. I put a brick in it and on cold days like today, I fill a watering can with hot water. I pour it mostly onto the brick and that keeps some of the water liquid for a while.

But you have to do it today because tomorrow, these guys will be looking for sturdy enclosed places for nesting. They'll advertise. Some female will come to inspect. If she likes what she sees, she'll move in and there will be eggs in the nest before you can say jack robinson.

Oh yeah. Now that the starlings are back, I have to keep the door of my outdoor trash closet tightly closed. One time I found it open and when I closed it, I heard a lot of bumping around. I had trapped a starling who was building his nest there. I don't need the mess. I don't need the rotten eggs.

You've been warned.

© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2020 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment