Tuesday, July 7, 2015

It's embarrassing

Most countries in Europe broadcast in more than one language, including English.
I was emailing with a fellow language geek and mentioned this.
RFI
BBC
Deutsche Welle
IBA
RAI
NHK
and others broadcast in more than one language.


Deutsche Welle proudly lists 30 languages.
BBC 27.
NHK 17.
RFI 12.
IBA 12 including Hungarian (Magyar), Romanian, and Ladino.

The US? 
Feh!
We expect everybody to learn English. 
We're also too lazy to learn other languages.

Except for me and people like me, such as the one I was emailing with and those who will be attending the Polyglot Confereing in NYC in October.
http://polyglotconference.com/

If you know of one US media outlet that routinely provides media in languages other than English (or Spanish which is becoming a majority language), let me know and I will collect the links and post them here.
I'm not holding my breath.


© Patricia Jo Heil, 2013-2018 All Rights  Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment