Monday, May 22, 2023

Outdoors -- the midnight concert

A certain mockingbird of my acquaintance is making things very hard on me. 

He just can't sleep after midnight (solar time). He gets up and holds a concert. It lasts an hour at a time.

And I can't nap in the afternoon cos he's out there right now, whooping it up.

I haven't seen a mockingbird behave like this in years, but I think he has a chick and if he does, I know where it's stashed: the same place as last year.

Which I know about cos last year when somebody creamed my parked car, they pushed it up over the curb next to the hiding place. While me and the police and the other driver arranged things, Mr. Mocker sat in my holly tree and sang at us. That didn't help much so he moved to my roof and watched us intently. If any of us had gone too close to the hiding place, he would have attacked.

That was in April last year; now it's May and the baby might be ready to leave the nest.

I don't know why he has to sing at midnight. Maybe it's to protect against owls, which we do have here. If it was a roving cat, well, those are illegal and anyway he would just attack it until it ran. But it's getting on my last nerve.

No comments:

Post a Comment