Sunday, January 1, 2023

Mendel Beilis -- Gruzenberg's memoirs

If I really really want to read a specific book but I can't find it online the first time I think of it, every once in a while I go back out and search for it again. It has worked many times, and it worked again this weekend.

I have long wanted to read Gruzenberg's memoirs. There is an English translation but nobody has posted it yet. I did, at last, find the Russian version

I'm not too worried that the English version isn't available for free. You can understand why I'm not worried if you have read other parts of my blog, where I show that lots of urban legends about Jewish classics wouldn't exist if people read the primary documents instead of translations, commentaries, or interpretations.

The web has plenty of free Russian language learning material, and I also found my very first college Russian grammar available for purchase at various sites. (Ignore the one charging >$200, that's just stupid.) Once you learn it, much of the Beilis material is open to you. Let me know if you need links to the learning material.

Other links about the Beilis trial are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment