Sunday, November 27, 2022

Knitting -- another Norwegian tradition?

I can't remember how I found the first Valldal pattern I ever saw, but so far I've found five patterns.

Most of them are cardigans but here is a child's jumper. It's pattern #3 by Sandnes Garn, owners of the copyright for the Mariusgenser. Here are search results on their site

https://www.sandnes-garn.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=valldal

Sandnes also has a pattern called Myrdal, but it's very much like the Valldal pattern, see below. I found three other patterns, apparently quite old, and very much like each other, all cardigans, and all very much like some of the Valldal patterns. I was able to give you specific things to watch for so that you would know if you were looking at a Setesdal or a Fana; I can't do that 

with these two styles. If they really are separate. 

I sent a link to some of the patterns to Arne and Carlos. These aren't shown on any of their videos.

At any rate, if you weren't turned on by any of the traditional Norwegian patterns I showed you, maybe this one will get you started. You can find some at the archive where I found Carlos' grandmother's Dovre kofte pattern; you have to take out a membership to get anything beyond the photo. It's 189 kroner or just under $20 for a membership. 


https://koftearkivet.no/suf-1163-valldal/

This link goes to a cardigan that is tagged as 1960-1979, which doesn't sound as if it's a tradition-- but there's a video about the Icelandic lopapeysa jumper which says that tradition goes back to the -- 1950s! But that's for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment