Sunday, November 20, 2022

Knitting -- ain't technology grand!

Did you ever see knitwear in a historical movie on Youtube -- you might even be able to do this with your pay-per-view streaming service -- and want to weep because it made your fingers itch to knit a copy?

Well, technology can help. I did this with three things from Arne and Carlos videos.

I pulled up the video with the Dovrekofta leaflet that had the grandmother's notes on it; this was in Youtube on my laptop.

I halted the video at the point where Carlos holds up the leaflet.

I used Google Lens to get an image of it with my camera on my Pixel 4.

And voila! the search function gave me the name of the leaflet, Dovrekofta 493.

On my laptop I used Google search and found an archive of Norwegian knitting patterns, and here is the actual leaflet (minus the notes of course).

https://koftegruppa.no/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/SE-493-Dovrekofta.pdf

I did this with a couple of the jumpers that Arne and Carolos wore. One is the Knut pattern designed for Rowan yarns. It is basically an Icelandic pattern, with the round yoke that goes over the shoulders and has rays of motifs. If you have a Ravelry account you can find it there, too.

https://knitrowan.com/products/knut

The other is the Redd Barna Knit for Ukraine pattern on the Arne and Carlos site.

https://shop.arnecarlos.com/product/reddbarna-unisex-sweater/

Now that I have this technology, I can go back to where I got interested in British traditional designs. When I was watching the Time Team videos on Youtube, I wanted to weep over the great British jumpers the archaeologists wore, and I couldn't imagine getting down literally in the trenches with those things on. Maybe they took them off for the work and put them on for the camera. But maybe they knew where to buy replacements. 

Anyway, Arne and Carlos have a Twitter account and I tweeted to them the link to the sweater leaflet.

Just cos we like traditional hand-knitting doesn't mean we're Luddites, now does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment