Sunday, July 18, 2021

Knitting -- brioche correction

I think I gave you a bum steer in a brioche posting. The really good video for one-color brioche in the round is this one, with good sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy4oGGfQako

She makes two things clear. One is that after the setup round, you bring the yarn to the front and slip the first stitch, and then wrap the yarn the whole way around the needle. This provides a YO for the slipped stitch. Then the yarn is in front so you can PURL the next two together.

When you finish that round, you take the yarn to the back. You are faced with a YO and a stitch that you slipped in the previous round. Knit those two together, YO, and slip the next stitch purlwise. This stitch that you just slipped is the result of a P2TOG on the previous round.

I made lots of mistakes because I was trying to do the K2TOG, bringing the yarn between the needle holding the two stitches and the previous purlwise slip. You have to take it around that slip stitch to create the YO that maintains your stitch count.

The other mistake I almost made early on a sock was I dropped a YO. I had to wrassle the yarn back into place before I could do the K2TOG at that location. Before you do ANY TOG, make sure one stitch is a YO.

No comments:

Post a Comment