Friday, February 3, 2023

Twitter archives -- URGENT

I archived my tweets. I  used to do it regularly and I will do it one more time before the pay per tweet goes into effect. Here's what you do in Chrome. It should be similar on mobile.

Go to Settings. Under Your Account, my third choice is download an archive. You need your password and then you ask it to download your archive. Do this TODAY in case you've forgotten your password and need to change it. Also because you will get an email in about 24 hours.

When you get that email, you will get a link in it to download your archive. You will need your password again.

My archive downloaded to my C drive; I don't use the cloud. YMMV. 

When your archive is done downloading, it's a ZIP file. Extract all files to whereever you keep your data.

In February 2022, I got a .csv and a file called tweets that I could view in Excel. You won't get that. You'll get a bunch of stuff plus something with the Microsoft Edge logo if you run Windows. You can open that thing in Chrome and that's where your tweets will be.

Whoever you follow on Twitter, find out if they are moving to Post, Mastodon, or elsewhere. Set up an account with the service that will get you the most bang for your buck and find them there.

Or you could just pay whatever they charge you. 

Personally I think this will finally destroy Twitter. I tweeted with tags to a number of organizations about how this will deprive disadvantaged people of government and other information. They only have 6 days to file for an injunction.

No comments:

Post a Comment